Sunday, April 6, 2008

Honk If You Love the Caps


An incredible night at the Verizon Center once again, as the Caps kept believing and, against all odds, won the Southeast Division.

The first time I saw the Caps this season was on December 9 against the Thrashers. If you had told me that night that we would end up here, I would have laughed all the way back to my hotel.

As we drove away from Verizon last night, we joined in a throng of cars merrily beeping "Let's Go Caps!" Car after car after car honked, all the way down 9th Street, then down Constitution past the memorials. (I got a bit of stick from some kids about my Habs Fan license plate, but hey, what can I say, I'm a bit divided right now.) A rolling convoy of Caps fans, all delirious from witnessing another miraculous evening and determined to share the joy with everyone else - we were truly 'rocking the red.'

I realize this is echoing everyone else, but if Bruce Boudreau doesn't win the Jack Adams trophy, I'm going to be really peeved. (If Guy Carbonneau wins it instead, I'll only be mildly peeved. The Habs were picked to finish 13th in the conference by nearly everyone, after all.) To bring this team back from 15th to 3rd in the space of 4-1/2 months is a monumental accomplishment. If you're interested, the Washington Post has a great column about Bruce today.

So here we go, on to the playoffs... let's honk and scream and red-out the Caps towards a drink from that Cup, shall we?

No comments: